Your Environmentally Friendly Wedding
Sustainable weddings are on the rise and trending for 2020.
Protecting the environment is increasingly important, but fortunately, it’s also increasingly easy. With new technologies and innovations in science, eco-friendly finds are now more accessible than ever. If you and your soon-to-be-spouse plan to host an earth-loving celebration, you’ll be pleased to know that there are plenty of ways to do so. Biodegradable materials and reusable décor can help your wedding be waste-free, while natural and sustainable foods, venues, and flowers can keep things even more ecologically responsible. Here, a few favorite ideas for executing an environmentally and socially conscience event.
Rent your wedding attire for a greener solution!
Your wedding dress, tuxedos, bridesmaid dresses—you can choose the perfect options for YOUR day. No worries about whether you and others in the wedding party can wear those one-day garments again. You don’t have to be practical! Be poetic, whimsical, or be very formal! Express exactly who you are and who you want to be on YOUR day! And the planet will thank you because we know that reusing is the most sustainable answer!
Look for sustainable wedding attire – rent, don’t buy!
- A wedding dress is way too expensive and special to only been worn once. That’s just a shame! You can give it a second life. Wearing secondhand or vintage means you are giving a pre-loved
- Besides lending style and sentimentality to your big day, incorporating family heirlooms or special items already in your possession cuts down on consumption. Whether you wear your mother’s wedding gown or put your aunt’s retro jewelry to work, repurposing will minimize what you need to buy for your nuptials.
- If your heart is set on a dress of your own, seek out a rental that can put you in an ensemble you can consider your “something borrowed.”
- Rental prices much lower than your typical boutique.
- Alterations may be included.
- Cleaning is usually included in the rental price, making this route a win-win.
Your wedding registry
- Choose products made with sustainable materials.
- Support companies that are eco-friendly.
- Consider setting up a charity registry through organizations for a cause close to your heart.
- Find an outdoor location, like a farm or vineyard, where the sun can provide all of your lighting.
- Botanical gardens, hilltops, barns and parks also provide natural décor.
Décor and Flowers
- Source in-season and local flowers for the freshest, best quality stems at the best price.
- Choose potted blooms, plants or topiaries as centerpieces. This way, you can take them home and replant them after the wedding.
- Repurpose ceremony florals as centerpieces for the party
- Single-use anything is not good for the environment. Reclaimed, repurposed, renewable, recycled, natural, or organic items are preferred.
- Potted herbs, plants or topiaries centerpieces can be taken home and replanted.
- Go edible
From reducing electricity and fuel to re-purposing and giving back, there’s no reason your dream wedding can’t be a green wedding, too.